Building Permits & Inspection Services
- Building Permits and Fees
- Building Checklists
- Building Design Guides and Resources
- Building Inspections
- Contractor Licensing
- Code Enforcement
- Building Department FAQs
- Building Permit Reports
Do I need a building permit?
Many home improvement projects require a building permit. Major renovations such as finishing your basement, adding a deck, or installing a hot tub require a permit, and so do smaller projects such as adding an AC system, reroofing, or creating a new window or patio door. View the complete Building Department FAQ's for more details.
- Building Permit Application
- Certificate of Occupancy Request Form/Checklist - For new residential and new commercial only
- Revision Request Form - For change to approved plans
- Residential Fire Sprinkler Option Form - Required for all new one- and two-family dwellings
Building permit fees are comprised of a permit fee, plan review fee, electrical fee, zoning fee, and Douglas County and City of Castle Pines use tax. Depending on the type of project and extent of work being performed certain fees may not be applicable. However, all permits require the collection of a permit fee and use tax at the following rates:
- Permit Fee - Based on the value of the project (see Table 1)
- Douglas County Use Tax - 1% of 50% of the value of the project
- Castle Pines Use Tax - 2.75% of 50% of the value of the project
If a permit requires a Plan Review, additional costs may include:
- Plan Review Fee - 65% of the permit fee
- Electrical Permit Fee
- Based on the square feet of the project (residential)
- Based on value (commercial) (see Table 2)
- Zoning Fee - $50
If you would like assistance in determining which fees may be applicable to your building project, please call the Building Department at 303.705.0227.
- Zoning Review for a Building Permit: $50.00
- Development Review Fee Schedule
- Accessory Structures
- Additions to Single Family Dwellings
- Asbestos Testing and Abatement Requirements
- Automatic Residential Fire Sprinkler System Consumer Information
- Patio Covers and Carports
- Pole Barns
- Residential Basement Finish
- Residential Swimming Pools
- Uncovered Decks and Porches
In order to receive final approval for your project, scheduled inspections must be performed by City staff at various phases to assure compliance with the building codes.
Please call 303.705.0227 before 4 p.m. to schedule your next business day inspection. We cannot guarantee a next business day inspection if you call after 4 p.m.
A few things to keep in mind:
- You may request an a.m. or p.m. inspection time and we will do our best to accommodate your request but cannot guarantee your requested time.
- If the inspection requested is to be performed INSIDE of the house, someone over the age of 18 will need to be present. Our inspectors will not enter an occupied home alone.
- You may call 303.705.0227 the day of your inspection, after 8:30 a.m., for your two-hour estimated time of arrival.
- All roof inspections require a ladder to be set up for the inspector with safe access, prior to your two-hour window.
A Contractor License must be obtained before the commencement of business in the City. No permits shall be issued for work to be done by an unregistered contractor.
Licensed contractors have provided proof of competency and proof of insurance to the city. This protects the homeowner from incurring costs due to damage by uninsured contractors, and it protects the homeowner from contractors who do not have adequate knowledge of the City adopted building codes. A permit will not be issued until all contractors being used to complete the project are licensed. Homeowners doing their own work do not need to be licensed.
To report a code violation such as illegal dumping tor building activities without a permit, contact Code Enforcement at 303.705.0225.